Enforce a money order

Orders for the payment of money can be enforced by registering a certified copy of the order with the Local Court.

What is a certified money order?

A certified money order is a signed and sealed copy of the orders made by NCAT.

The certified copy confirms that NCAT made an order for the payment of money and can be registered as a judgment of the Local or District Court for enforcement action.

How to request a certified copy

Call or send an email to NCAT requesting a certified copy of your money order. 

There is no fee for requesting a certified copy of the orders

You can request a certified copy at any time after the order is made by NCAT.

Enforcing the order

When you receive NCAT's certified money order it will need to be registered to start enforcement action.

Register with the Local Court

You can register the certified money order online via the NSW Online Registry website or take it to a NSW Local Court (or NSW District Court for amounts over $100,000).

The certified order will then be registered as a judgment of the Local Court. The Local Court will charge you a filing fee for this service.

Enforce judgment through the Local Court

With the registered judgment, you can start enforcement action to try to get the money you are owed. This includes applying for a 'garnishee order' to have money taken from the persons's wages or bank accounts, or a 'writ for the levy of property' to authorise the Sheriff to seize and sell property belonging to the person to pay the debt.

Visit the LawAccess NSW website for a step by step guide to enforcing NCAT orders through the Local Court.

Return to top of page Back to top