Community schemes

NCAT hears and decides cases about community and neighbourhood schemes disputes under the Community Land Management Act 1989.

Community schemes cases are managed through NCAT's Consumer and Commercial Division.

How to apply

Applications can be made by lot owners, owners corporations and occupiers concerning community and neighbourhood scheme disputes.

Parties must generally attempt mediation before lodging an application. Contact NSW Fair Trading to learn more about mediation.

Adjudicator orders

Most community schemes disputes are determined by an Adjudicator on the papers without the need for a hearing. Learn about the adjudication process.

After lodging your application you can expect the matter to be finalised within three months.

Tribunal orders

Appeals against an Adjudicator's decision and other dispute types such as requests for penalty orders and unit entitlement are determined by NCAT in a hearing. Learn about the NCAT hearing and appeals process for community schemes matters.

After lodging your application you can expect a first hearing within eight weeks.


Fees are payable for community schemes applications. View the fees and charges schedule.

What happens next

Matters are either dealt with by an Adjudicator on the papers or by a Tribunal Member at a hearing depending on the dispute type.

Orders NCAT can make

Specify the section of the Community Land Management Act 1989 and the orders you want NCAT to make. Refer to the Orders page information in the application forms for sections of the Act and types of orders that can be made.

If you are unsure of which order to select, contact NSW Fair Trading for assistance on 13 32 20.


Community Land Management Act 1989  

Organisations that can help

NCAT cannot provide legal advice. Find out how we can and cannot assist. Below are some organisations that can provide help or advice about your case.

Return to top of page Back to top