Agricultural tenancy

NCAT can hear and decide applications about agricultural tenancy disputes.

Agricultural tenancy cases are managed through NCAT's Consumer and Commercial Division.

Agricultural tenancy laws apply to farms that are one hectare or larger, occupied or used by a tenant, and used wholly or mostly for agricultural purposes.

Disputes include land deterioration or land condition, weed growth, financial benefits flowing from the use of the land or making of improvements, and termination of the tenancy.

How to apply

Download and complete an application form. Lodge your application at any NCAT Registry Office or Service NSW Centre.


Fees are payable for agricultural tenancy applications. View our fees and charges.

Time limits

You must apply to NCAT within 3 months of the dispute arising or ending the tenancy.

If you apply outside of the time limit, you can request a time extension as part of your application. NCAT will not always agree to a request for a time extension

What happens next

Agricultural tenancy cases are generally listed for conciliation and hearing. Check the notice of hearing from NCAT and follow the instructions provided.

Orders NCAT can make

NCAT can make the following orders in agricultural tenancy cases:

  • payment for an amount of money or compensation (not exceeding $500,000)
  • termination of a tenancy
  • orders to remedy a​ breach of a term of a tenancy
  • orders requiring an action to be done
  • amendment of record of condition of farm
  • access orders to recover goods or fixtures.


    The following legislation applies to agricultural tenancy disputes.

    Organisations that can help

    NCAT cannot provide legal advice. Find out how we can and cannot assist. Below are some organisations that can provide help or advice about your case.

    Return to top of page Back to top