Motor vehicle ​unfair cont​​ract disputes

​​​​NCAT can decide disputes about unfair supply contracts or unjust conduct relating to a supply contract between a motor dealer and motor vehicle manufacturer.

How to apply

Step 1: Attempt mediation

You must attempt mediation with the NSW Small Business Commissioner before applying to NCAT. 

If mediation is unsuccessful, you will receive a section 19 certificate from the NSW Small Business ​Commissioner.

Step 2: Apply to NCAT

Download and complete an application form. Lodge your application at any NCAT Registry or with Service NSW.

You must attach the certificate issued by the NSW Small Business Commissioner to your application.


Fees are payable for motor vehicle unfair contract dispute applications. View our fees and charges or apply for a fee waiver.

Attach a company ​or business name extract​

When applying to NCAT about a business or company, you must attach a recent ASIC company or business name extract​ with your application.

Orders NCAT can make

NCAT can make the following orders about a motor vehicle unfair contract dispute under section 146 of the Motor Dealers and Repairers Act 2013.

  • An order declaring that a term of a supply contract (or class of supply contracts) is an unfair term
  • An order declaring conduct by a manufacturer, in connection with a supply contract or authorised by an unfair term in a supply contract, to be unjust conduct.


The following legislation applies to motor vehicle unfair contract disputes.

Organisations that can help

NCAT cannot provide legal advice. Find out how we can and cannot assist. Below are some organisations that can provide help or advice about your case.

Return to top of page Back to top