Motor vehicles

NCAT can hear and decide motor vehicle disputes between consumers and motor dealers or repairers.

Motor vehicle cases are managed through NCAT's Consumer and Commercial Division.

Motor vehicle disputes include unsatisfactory repairs and maintenance, defective or faulty used or new cars, and overcharging for services and warranties. 

A motor vehicle consumer claim must be against a supplier carrying on a business and not a private person. 

NCAT also deals with disputes between dealers and manufacturers about unfair motor vehicle contract disputes.

How to apply

You can apply online for a motor vehicle consumer claim application. 

Download and complete an application form. Lodge your application at any  NCAT Registry or Service NSW service centre.


Fees are payable for motor vehicle applications. View our fees and charges.

Money limits

The maximum amount you can claim is $100,000. If the dispute is about the purchase of a new vehicle, NCAT can make orders for an unlimited sum.

Time limits

You must apply to NCAT within 3 years of when the cause of action accrued (the problem with the goods or services). The goods or services must have been supplied to you within 10 years. 

If you apply outside of the time limit, you can request a time extension as part of your application. NCAT will not always agree to a request for a time extension.

Attach a company ​or business name extract​

When applying to NCAT about a business or company, you must attach a recent ASIC company or business name extract​ with your application.

What happens next

Motor vehicle applications are listed for conciliation and hearing. Check the notice of hearing from NCAT and follow the instructions provided.

Read the hearing preparation checklist to prepare for your hearing. 

Orders NCAT can make

NCAT can make the following orders about a motor vehicle consumer claim.

  • An order for money to be paid
  • An order that money owed does not have to be paid
  • An order to provide motor vehicle or services
  • An order to do work or provide services
  • An order to fix or replace faulty motor vehicle or part.


The following legislation applies to motor vehicle consumer claim disputes.

Organisations that can help

NCAT cannot provide legal advice. Find out how we can and cannot assist. Below are some organisations that can provide help or advice about your case.

Last updated:

08 Dec 2022

We will use your rating to help improve the site.
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top