NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

Certified money orders

Orders for the payment of money can be enforced by registering a certified copy of the order with the NSW Local Court or District Court.

How to enforce a money order

Take the following steps to have a NCAT order for the payment of money enforced.

Step 1: Request a certified money order

Call or write to NCAT requesting a 'certified money order'. This is a signed and sealed copy of NCAT's orders for the payment of money. You can request a certified copy at any time after the order is made.

Step 2: Register with the Local Court

Once you receive the NCAT certified money order it will need to be registered to start enforcement action. 

You can register online via the NSW Online Registry website or take the certified money order to a NSW Local Court (or NSW District Court for amounts over $100,000).  The certified order can be registered as a judgment of the Local Court. The Local Court will charge a filing fee for this service.

Step 3: Enforce judgment through the Local Court

With the registered judgment, you can start enforcement action to try to get the money you are owed. This includes applying for a 'garnishee order' to have money taken from the persons's wages or bank accounts, or a 'writ for the levy of property' to authorise the Sheriff to seize and sell property belonging to the person to pay the debt.