Getting help

There are a wide range of services in NSW that can help you with free or low-cost legal information, advice and assistance.

Our staff can provide you with information about Tribunal procedures, but they cannot give you legal advice. Read more about how we can and cannot assist.

Australian Securities and Investm​​​​​ent Commission (ASIC) 
ASIC is Australia's corporate regulator. They provide general information and advice for companies, businesses and consumers. Search the ASIC Registers for current information on companies and business names.

Community Legal Cen​​tres 
Visit the Community Legal Centres NSW website to find your nearest community legal centre for information, advice and referrals on legal matters, and representation in targeted areas of law.

Community Justice Cen​​​tres 
Community Justice Centres p​​​rovide free mediation services to help people reach an agreement on a wide range of disputes.

Home Building Advocacy Se​​rvice 
The Home Building Advocacy Service is run by Western Sydney Community Legal Centre for home owner​​​s who have already attempted to resolve their home building dispute through NSW Fair Trading.

Housing Appeals Committe​​e 
The Housing Appeals Committee is an indepe​ndent agency that reviews certain decisions made by NSW social housing providers.

LawAcces​s NSW 
LawAccess NSW provides legal inform​​ation, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

Legal Aid ​​NSW 
Legal Aid NSW provides​​​ legal services to disadvantaged clients across NSW in most areas of criminal, family and civil law.

Find Legal Answe​​​​​rs 
Find Legal Answers is a free online legal information resource for people living in NSW. This service is co-ordinated by the NSW State Library's Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC).

NSW Aboriginal Tenants A​​​​dvice and Advocacy Services 
NSW Aboriginal Tenants Advice Services provide free advice and advocacy for Aboriginal tenants living in NSW.

NSW Fair Tra​​​ding 
NSW Fair Trading provides information and assistance to consumers and people with disputes about home building, renting, strata living, retirement villages and residential communities.

NSW Health Care Complai​​​​nts Commission (HCCC)
The Health Care Complaints Commission acts to protect public health and safety by dealing with complaints about health service providers in NSW.

NSW Ombudsma​​​​n 
The NSW Ombudsman investigates complaints relating to the public sector and the provision of community services in NSW.

NSW Small Business Comm​​​​issioner 
The NSW Small Business Commissioner provides advice for small business owners and dispute resolution services for retail tenancy matters.

NSW Trustee and Gua​​​rdian 
The NSW Trustee and Guardian provides professional and independent trustee services such as writing wills, acting as Executor in deceased estates, administering trusts and Powers of Attorney, and delivering financial management services.

Public Gua​​​rdian 
NCAT may appoint the Public Guardian as the guardian of a person with a decision making disability. They also provide information and support to private guardians.

Seniors Rights Ser​​​vice 
The Seniors Rights Service is a community legal centre that provides advocacy, advice and education to older people in NSW.

Tenants Advice and Advoc​​acy Services 
Visit the Tenants NSW website to find your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service for free information and advice to tenants, boarders and lodgers and residential community residents.  View the Tenants Advice and Information Useful Contacts sheet [PDF 1MB].

Victims Serv​​​ices 
Victims Services is part of the NSW Department of Justice and Communities and provides support services including free counselling and financial assistance to victims of crime in NSW.

Finding a lawyer to represent you

Law Society of​​ NSW 
The Law Society of NSW provides an online search to help you find a qualified lawyer suitable for your needs. You will need to pay fees for the lawyer.

Law Society of NSW Pro B​ono Scheme 
The Law Society's Pro Bono Scheme refers eligible people to law firms willing to provide their legal services for free or at reduced costs. To be eligible you must have been turned down by Legal Aid and cannot afford legal fees. The scheme covers only certain types of matters.

Legal Assistance Referr​​al Scheme (LARS) 
The Legal Assistance Referral Scheme (LARS) is run by the NSW Bar Association. It refers eligible people on low incomes to barristers or mediators who may be able to give advice, appear for you or settle your matter.

Legal Aid NSW Duty​​ Service 
The Legal Aid NSW Duty Service provi​​​des legal assistance to people with discrimination disputes listed for case conference or hearing before NCAT.

Getting help sign post

Aged-care and disability services useful links

There are a wide range of aged-care and disability services that provide information and help to parties involved in Guardianship matters. Visit the Guardianship Division useful links page for details.