Strata schemes

NCAT hears and decides cases about strata schemes disputes under the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015.

How to apply to NCAT

Mediation required for certain applications

How does NCAT resolve strata disputes?

Organisations that may be able to provide help 

How to apply to NCAT

Complete the strata application form and lodge with the appropriate fee at your nearest NCAT Registry.

 Download the Strata application form [PDF, 238kB]

Specify the section of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 and the orders you want the Tribunal to make.  You can request more than one order.

If you are unsure of which order to select, contact NSW Fair Trading for assistance on 13 32 20.

Urgent applications

If you need an urgent hearing, you can apply to NCAT for an interim order in addition to your strata application. 

Download the Strata interim orders application form [PDF, 132kB]

Mediation required for certain applications

Mediation is compulsory for certain types of strata applications. Refer to the strata application form to find out whether mediation is required for the orders you are seeking.

​Attach evidence of attempted mediation with your application form.​ 

Contact NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20 for information about mediation.

How does NCAT resolve strata disputes?

Strata applications are listed for either conciliation and hearing or a directions hearing.  The type of hearing will depend on the orders you are seeking​.

You and the other party will receive a notice of hearing from NCAT specifying the day, time and venue of your hearing.  

You can expect your first hearing within 4 to 6 weeks after the application is lodged.

Conciliation and hearing​​​

Matters listed for conciliation and hearing are heard with a number of other matters in a 'group list'.  Parties will be asked to attempt conciliation to reach an agreement before the hearing can take place.

Directions hearing​​

Directions hearings are used for more complex strata matters. They are used to identify the issues in dispute, set a timeframe for the substantive hearing, and to arrange for the exchange of evidence between the parties.

Evidence and supporting materials​​​

​At the hearing you will need to provide evidence to support your case.  The type of information and documents you need to provide will depend on the orders sought.  Refer to the orders information in the strata application form for details.​

Applications made ​​before 30 November 2016

The former Strata Schemes Management Act 1996 applies to all strata applications lodged before 30 November 2016. Most of these applications will be decided by an Adjudicator​ on the papers. Learn more about the adjudication process.​

Organisations that may be able to provide help

NCAT cannot provide legal advice.  The below organisations may be able to help you with your strata dispute.

NSW Fair Trading​

NSW Fair Trading provides a specialised mediation service for strata scheme disputes. Contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20 for information and help with your strata issues​.​

LawAccess NSW

LawAccess NSW ​provides legal information and referrals for people who have a legal problem in NSW.

Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services​

Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services can provide information and advice to strata scheme tenants.  Visit the Tenants NSW website to find your local service.