NCAT is the main forum for resolving tenancy disputes between landlords and tenants in New South Wales.

Tenancy disputes include payment of the rental bond, rent increases, unpaid rent, termination of the tenancy agreement, compensation, repairs and other breaches of the residential tenancy agreement.

How to apply

Download and complete an application form or apply online. Lodge your application at any NCAT Registry Office, NSW Fair Trading or Service NSW Centre.

Tenancy application 172kBApply online
Termination and possession for non-payment of rent​ 155kB​Apply online
​Rental bond application​ 134kB​Apply online


Fees are payable for tenancy applications. View the fees and charges schedule or apply for a fee waiver.

Time limits

There are time limits for applying for certain orders. Check the application form for details. 

If you apply outside of the time limit, you can request a time extension as part of your application. NCAT will not always agree to a request for a time extension.

Federal jurisdiction

Is the landlord or tenant a permanent resident in another State? Check if you matter is affected by federal jurisdiction.

What happens next

After lodging your application with NCAT you can expect a first hearing within:

  • 3 weeks for termination applications
  • 4 weeks for all other tenancy applications 

Tenancy cases are listed for conciliation and hearing. Check the correspondence or notice you receive from NCAT carefully and follow the instructions provided.

Hearing notes form

Landlords and property managers should complete the Hearing notes form [PDF 93kB] before arriving at the NCAT hearing.

Orders NCAT can make

NCAT can make a wide range of orders in tenancy cases. Check the application form for the full list of orders the Tribunal can make. These include:

  • Ending the tenancy agreement
  • Payment of the rental bond (up to $30,000)
  • Compensation be paid to the landlord or tenant (up to $15,000)
  • That a rent increase is excessive
  • A term of the agreement must be complied with.

Final orders made by NCAT are legally binding and enforceable. Learn more about orders and enforcement

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Residential Tenancies Act 2010 

Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2013