Community schemes

NCAT hears and decides cases about community and neighbourhood schemes disputes under the Community Land Management Act 1989.

How to apply to NCAT 

Applications can be made by lot owners, owners corporations and occupiers concerning community and neighbourhood scheme disputes.  

Parties must generally attempt mediation before lodging an application. Contact NSW Fair Trading to learn more about mediation.

Matters are either dealt with by an Adjudicator on the papers or by a Tribunal Member at a hearing depending on the dispute type.

Adjudicator orders

Most community schemes disputes are determined by an Adjudicator on the papers without the need for a hearing.  Learn about the adjudication process.

After lodging your application you can expect the matter to be finalised within 3 months. 

Tribunal orders

Appeals against an Adjudicator's decision and other dispute types such as requests for penalty orders and unit entitlement are determined by the Tribunal at hearing.  Learn about the Tribunal hearing and appeals process for community schemes matters.

After lodging your application you can expect a first hearing within 8 weeks.

​Make an application

Community schemes Adjudicator orders

Community schemes Tribunal orders 

Community schemes interim orders

​​You may have to pay a fee to apply to NCAT. Learn more about fees or apply for a fee waiver.​

Quick links​

Community Land Management Act 1989      

Fees at NCAT        ​