Social housing

​NCAT deals with social housing tenancy disputes between social housing provider landlords and tenants under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Make an application

To make an application to NCAT, complete an application form and lodge with the appropriate fee. View the current fees and charges.

Form​ ​PDF ​Online
​Social housing application  217kB Apply now
Termination and possession application ​ 155kB ​Apply now
​Rental bond application 134kB ​Apply now

Refer to the Tenancy and social housing fact sheet [PDF 438kb] for the types of orders that can be made under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Jurisdictional limits 

NCAT has jurisdiction to determine social housing matters up to $30,000 for rental bond matters and $15,000 in respect to any other matter.

NCAT cannot determine appeals about administrative decisions made by a social housing provider such as eligibility, allocations, rent subsidies and transfers.

Back to Top

What is social housing?

Social housing is owned or managed by a government authority or community housing providers and made available for rent to eligible persons. Social housing includes:

  • Public housing owned or managed by Housing NSW or NSW Land and Housing Corporation.
  • Community housing managed by community housing associations
  • Aboriginal housing owned by Aboriginal corporations including Local Aboriginal Land Councils and the Aboriginal Housing Off​ice.

All social housing tenancies are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. View the definition of social housing provider under the Act.

Back to Top



NCAT Online

Useful contacts

For information and assistance with social housing disputes

Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO)

Housing NSW            

Housing Appeals Committee

NSW Fair Trading           

NSW Federation of Housing Associations

Community Equity NSW

Tenants Advisory Services