Consumer and Commercial Division

NCAT's Consumer and Commercial Division is designed for people to represent themselves at hearing.  This provides an affordable, accessible and efficient means of resolving your dispute.

Representing yourself 

At NCAT you will be encouraged to conduct your own case without representation.  Although this may seem daunting, you can expect to have your matter heard and determined fairly and according to law.

Representing yourself also has its benefits by giving you direct control on how your case is presented to NCAT.  With the right preparation and organisation, you can be your own best advocate at the hearing.

Learn more

Requests for representation 

A request to be represented must be in writing and contain the following information:

  • The file number and parties' names

  • The reason why you are seeking to be represented

  • The name and occupation of the proposed representative and whether or not that person is a lawyer/solicitor

  • A statement that the proposed representative has your permission to make decisions in your absence that are binding on you.

You can apply to be represented in writing before the matter is heard or you can apply at a hearing.  The Tribunal Member will decide on the day if you can be represented.

Your representative may be a lawyer, a real estate agent on behalf of a landlord, an advocate, friend or relative provided you authorise them to act on your behalf and allow them to make a decision at the hearing on your behalf.

Legal representation 

You can apply to be represented in writing before the matter is heard or you can apply at first hearing.  If you make your request in writing NCAT will seek comments from the other party prior to making a decision.

If the Tribunal Member decides you can be represented, the other party will also be able to be legally represented.

Disadvantaged persons 

Disadvantaged persons are minors or people who are incapable of representing themselves because of intellectual, physical, psychological or sensory disability, advanced age, mental incapacity or other disability. If a Tribunal Member finds that a party is disadvantaged or not sufficiently competent to conduct his or her case, they may make orders directing that they be represented.


NCAT provides a free of charge interpreter service for hearings.  Family members and friends are not permitted to interpret during proceedings.  A Tribunal Member may also request an interpreter if they find that a party is not sufficiently able to understand the proceedings.

Learn more about requesting an interpreter​.

Email link to this pagePrint this pageReduce font sizeIncrease font size 
 Party with their representative during the hearing