NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)

Changes to uncollected goods laws

NCAT News - 1 July 2020

From 1 July 2020, you can apply to NCAT to resolve a complaint or dispute about uncollected goods. 

Changes to the Uncollected Goods Act 1995 allow NCAT to make orders about uncollected goods previously dealt with by the Local Court. 

The changes also consolidate the existing uncollected goods provisions in various Acts, including tenancy, social housing, strata, residential communities, holiday parks, and retirement villages.

What are uncollected goods?

Uncollected goods are items left with someone who is not the owner. They include:

  • Items left for repair or treatment and the owner does not return to collect them
  • Goods left behind or abandoned by a former tenant, occupant or resident. 

Applying to NCAT

To apply to NCAT use the new Uncollected goods application form [PDF 196kB]

Fees are payable for uncollected goods applications. View our fees and charges.  

NCAT can make various orders about uncollected goods. These include:
  • Removal or disposal of the goods
  • Delivery of the goods
  • Sale of the goods
  • Payment of compensation

For more information

Visit the NSW Fair Trading website for information and advice about dealing with uncollected goods.