Exemptions, reduced fees and fee waivers

Information on fee exemptions, and how to apply for a reduced (concession) fee or fee waiver.

Fee exemptions

What NCAT applications or appeals are exempt from fees?

You do not have to pay a fee for: 

  • Any application in NCAT's Guardianship Division, except appeal or set-aside applications
  • Any application in NCAT's Occupational Division Health Practitioner List
  • An administrative review application under the Community Services (Complaints, Reviews and Monitoring) Act 1993
  • A general application or external appeal under the: 
    • Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983
    • Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 
    • Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001
    • Dormant Funds Act 1942
    • Local Government Act 1993
    • Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Act 2014
    • Public Notaries Act 1997.

Reduced Fees 

When does a reduced (concession) fee apply?

The reduced fee applies when an eligible pensioner lodges any of the following:
administrative review application
general application
internal appeal application
set aside application
external appeal application

Who is eligible for a reduced (concession) fee?

You are eligible for the reduced fee if you:

  • receive a pension, benefit or allowance under Ch 2 of the Social Security Act 1991
  • receive a service pension under Part III of the Veterans Entitlements Act 1986
  • in full-time education at a school, college or university and receive a student assistance allowance from a Commonwealth Government authority
  • receive a grant of legal aid or assistance from a community legal centre.

How much is the reduced fee?

The reduced fee, also called the concession fee, is 25% or a quarter of the full fee (rounded up or down to the nearest whole dollar).  For example, if the full fee is $48, the reduced or concession fee is $12.  

How do I request the reduced fee? 

You do not need to complete a separate form. You must provide documents to show that you are eligible for the reduced fee, when you give your NCAT application or appeal to the Tribunal registry.  For example, provide a copy of:

  • your Centrelink pension card, 
  • the card that shows that you are entitled to a service pension or some other relevant benefit or allowance, 
  • your student identification card, or
  • a letter from Legal Aid or the community legal centre saying that they are giving you assistance.

Remember: Photocopy both sides of your pension or allowance card or other document if it has writing on both sides.  

Fee waiver

The Principal Registrar can waive any fee in whole or in part if the Principal Registrar considers there are special reasons to do that.  

Who is eligible for a fee waiver?

You may be eligible for a full or partial fee waiver if paying the fee would cause you serious hardship or if there is some other special reason.  

How do I request a fee waiver?

You must complete the 'Request for fee waiver form' and attach a copy of all supporting documents.  

Request for fee waiver form [PDF 114kB]

You should provide the Request for fee waiver form and supporting documents when you give your NCAT application or appeal, by post or in person, to your nearest NCAT Registry or to Service NSW. 

You cannot currently provide a Request for fee waiver form via NCAT Online.

Remember: Where there is more than one applicant, each applicant must have a special reason for requesting a waiver of the fee.  

What happens next?

A decision whether or not to waive the whole or part of the fee is made based on the information and supporting documentation you provide with the request.  

You will be told how much you need to pay, either no fee, part of the fee or the full fee.  

A fee waiver is only valid for the fee you are asking not to pay. You will need to apply again if you want any other fee waived.

Related inf​​​​​​ormation​​​​​​

​Civil and Administrative Tribunal Regulation 2013

Clauses 4​ to 6

Schedule 2 Fees